WHERE & WHEN

FIGHTS CANCELED- FRIDAY April 30th FIGHT SEASON OVER!

9/4/09

Dray Burch Wolfpack MMA

Dray Burch

Strength vs. Burch
Photos by Susie Helms


When Dray Burch showed up to fight August 8th the MC made the announcement that Dray was still looking for an opponent for the evening. No one answered the call. With his stats at 9-2 – he was intimidating to say the least. A few years ago when he started to train with Steve Baxley at his dojo, his physique was that of a body builder, he had a lot of bulk. He took the advice given to him to slim down and focus on being quick and work on his techniques instead of on being muscular.
He is a fighter to watch with a career in MMA.

Dray “Block Rocker” is from the wiregrass, right out of Rehobeth, AL. I interviewed him while he was getting his knuckles wrapped. He seemed relaxed before his fight.

Q: How long have you been fighting MMA?
Dray: About three years with the Wolfpack Dothan.

Q: What do you do during the day, do you have a day job?
Dray: No, I run. I’m training.

Q: What do you love about fighting?
Dray: The aggression

Q: What do you hate about fighting?
Dray: Losing

Q: Tonight will be my first time watching you fight. What is unique about your fighting style that I should watch and entice others to watch you fight?
Dray: My striking and Stand –up Fighting. I like fighting standing up.

Q: What is your advice to someone who wants to be a MMA fighter?
Dray: You have to love it. You have to have a heart for it.

Q: Have you ever been in a fight you wished you had not entered?
Dray: Yes, I was a corner guy for a fight and the opponent dropped out so at the last minute I jumped in and I had just taken two months off due to an injury and I wasn’t ready to fight, I lost that fight. I had to tap out.

Q: You have a certain passion for fighting where did that come from?
Dray: My Grandfather was a boxer in the Navy, and I grew up fighting.

Q: What is your hidden talent?
Dray: My charm. I’m charming.

Q: What was the last promise you made your mother?
Dray: That I’ll always love her.

I’m sure Dray’s hidden talent will shine as he continues winning and gains fans, including me.
Watch Dray fight this weekend, Saturday September 5, 2009 at the Southeastern Fight League, 8 PM.
* UPDATE Fights were cancelled for Sept. 5th.  Next fight night to be announced. 
Good fighters did not start out as good fighters. Every fighter will have a story of before they were a fighters I’ll share my interviews here. Check back from time to time and leave a comment if you like.
It takes a lot of training to make these MMA athletes. If you are interested in MMA contact the WOLFPACK or call  (334) 794-1150.

No comments:

Post a Comment